Saturday, January 3, 2015

Decarboxylation. Making active medibles

"My edibles don't kick and I put a lot of medicine in them. What went wrong?"  This is a question that comes my way time and again.

We put a lot of time money and effort into growing and harvesting and curing our meds but I've noticed some of us don't take the same care when making our medibles. It's one simple step that can change everything. 

From google:
  1. Decarboxylation is a chemical reaction that removes a carboxyl group and releases carbon dioxide (CO2). Usually,decarboxylation refers to a reaction of carboxylic acids, removing a carbon atom from a carbon chain.

    In the case of marijuana, decarboxylation will change THCA to THC and make the medicine activated for oral consumption. This important step will ensure that the medibles you make are fully potent when you eat them. Not to say there isn't medicinal value in THCA bit if your looking to get the THC benefits this little step will make sure of that. 

    There are different theories out there to get the best decarboxylation of your starting material. These are the times and temperatures I use. Based on my lab testing I'm hitting between 95-99% decarb using these. 

    For kief: spread on a cookie sheet or Pyrex dish in a 250 F degree oven for 35 minutes

    For bud and trim:  grind and spread on a cookie sheet or Pyrex dish in a 250F degree oven for 30-35 minutes

    Cool and store or use right away for cooking. And yes I actually prefer to decarboxylate my material and then make butter or oil from that. When making butter or oil it will decarboxylate to some degree in the process. But I've found that you create a more potent and active butter or oil by decarbing first. 

    I hope this helps you guys with your medible making. 

    Stay Lifted!



    THChristi 



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...