Saturday, January 26, 2013

Decarboxylating Kief For Medibles

Decarboxylating kief makes it more potent in medibles
OK here's a quick DIY and Why for decarboxylating kief for medibles.  The main reason to do so is by decarboxylating the kief you convert the THCA in THC which is activated for the body to process through oral administration (eating).  When I first began making my edible medicines I didn't know about this crucial step.  After all my hard work making my medibles sometimes they just didn't seem to kick. I did a little research and found that by decarboxylating the starting plant matter (in this case kief) you could convert the THCA to THC and make sure that your edibles were made with the fullest absorption into your body.

So here's how I do mine.  First using a kief box, shake out some kief from your buds or other plant matter.  For cooking it's ok if your kief material is yellow to yellow/green in color, so you may want to shake twice.  The first shake (yellow) you may want to save for smoking.  The second shake (yellow/green) you can use for all of your cooking needs.  Remove the kief from the base of your shake box and place in a baking pan.  Place this kief in a 250 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool.  Now your kief is decarboxylated and ready to be added to all of your delicious medible recipes.  I store my decarboxylated kief in a small mason jar in a dark cupboard and use it as needed.'

Here's a fantastic article about decarboxylation.  In the article they say 240 degrees F for 30-60 minutes.  I still do mine for 30 minutes at 250 F.  You can decide what works best for you.

Stay elevated!




19 comments:

  1. thanks for this information. I have used ground up bud in the past and this is the first time I will be trying with kief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want to emphasise that 200 degrees is in Fahrenheit not Celsius. (98 degrees C)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does ground up bud work in edibles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. You'll want to decarboxylate that first too. One thing about cooking with ground up buds is the edible will have a weedy flavor

      Delete
  4. I realize this thread is from the beginning of the year, but I am curious...I have never decarboxylated my kief before making hard candies. The candy mixture is heated to 300 degrees before I add raw kief. Is decarboxylating still recommended? I'm guessing the answer is "yes", but it doesn't hurt to ask. Also, is there any way that I can estimate mg of thc without lab testing? thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I add my decarboxylaged kief once the candy mix is pulled off the heat source. Try it one time and see how much of a differwnce it makes

      Delete
    2. Yes. I add my decarboxylaged kief once the candy mix is pulled off the heat source. Try it one time and see how much of a differwnce it makes

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much for your reply! Just tried it today...excited to try it out!

      Delete
  5. I Just tried this. Is it suppose to turn darker and stickier? Smells awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! When its still warm you can sift it through a wire sieve to keep it from clumping up

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm confused. I see you have stated two different oven temperatures you use. Please clarify which one! I quote...
    "Place this kief in a 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Now your kief is decarboxylated and ready to be added to all of your delicious medible recipes. I store my decarboxylated kief in a small mason jar in a dark cupboard and use it as needed.'

    Here's a fantastic article about decarboxylation. In the article they say 240 degrees F for 30-60 minutes. I still do mine for 30 minutes at 250 F. "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing that out. The typo has been corrected. I do use 250 degrees farenheit. Ive had this lab tested at 95% activation rate.

      Delete
  8. I am trying to make gummies using kief...after 30 minutes at 250 it was all clumped up. Is this because there is too much moisture in the kief? Any tips on how to break this up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a good thing. Means your trickles are filled with oils! To unclymp it I just press it through a wire seibe

      Delete
    2. Yes! That's a good thing that means your trichomes are filled with essential cannabis oils. To unclump it simply press it through a wire seive.

      Delete
    3. Yes! That's a good thing that means your trichomes are filled with essential cannabis oils. To unclump it simply press it through a wire seive.

      Delete
    4. Yes, that's a good thing. Means your trickles are filled with oils! To unclymp it I just press it through a wire seibe

      Delete
    5. try using i small spoon full of glycerin from whole foods and mix it w/ the trichomes to make a thick liquid like substance. mix that in w/ your gummy mix & you're golden

      Delete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...