Thursday, August 8, 2013

Dank Doggie Biscuits

I've had a few requests for my recipe for making medicated dog treats.  As many of you know, marijuana can be good medicine for our 4 legged best friends too.  This is a personal choice so please do your own research before deciding if medical marijuana is the right course of action for you or your pooch. 

Here's a couple of articles that endorse or support this type of treatment:


I have also read some articles where dogs have become sick after accidentally consuming a human patient's medibles. Sometimes this can be detrimental if things that dogs shouldn't eat are in the medible (ie Chocolate & raisins).  The other problem is that most medibles made for humans contain high doses of THC which can be very disorienting and even dangerous to the animal. Please exercise caution and keep your medications up away from your pups.

In an attempt to limit the amount of THC in my dog biscuits I use the trim that remains after making infused butter or coconut oil  The key is to squeeze out all of the oil that remains in the cooked trim.  Once you have done this place the pressed trim in a small cooking pot and cover with boiling water.  Allow it to cool slightly and press again (I use a french press coffee maker to do this but you could also use a sieve and hand press it).  This will remove the water and any remaining oil.  Now you have the rinsed cooked trim material from which we will make our treats.

With all that said if you are wanting to make a medicated treat geared toward the canine in your life here's a recipe that I have created for my buddies.

Dank Doggie Biscuits

Ingredients you will need to make these treats:
  • 1 Cup of rinsed cooked trim from making cannabis infused butter or coconut oil
  • 1 Cup of dry oatmeal
  • 1/8 Cup of water
  • 1 1/4 Cup of whole wheat flour 
  • 1 Tablespoon of natural peanut butter
  • 1 egg -beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Here's how you make them:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Place the rinsed trim, water and oatmeal in a blender and blend on high until the mixture is pulverized.
  3. In a separate large bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder
  4. Add the wet pulverized mixture, peanut butter and beaten egg to your flour mixture and stir together until the mixture begins to stick together.
  5. Pour your mixture onto a floured surface and knead by hand until everything is well combined. (about 5 minutes). Add additional flour as necessary.  You want this mixture to be the texture of a roll out cookie dough.
  6. On a floured surface, roll out the mixture to a thickness of about 1/4".  
  7. Cut out biscuits using a small or medium dog-bone shaped
    cookie cutter or use a pizza cutter and cut into small squares.  Use a fork to make holed in the dog bones (this will vent out any of the steam created and keep your biscuits fairly flat)
  8. Place these cut outs on an UNGREASED cookie sheet*** This is SO important!  If you add grease or oil to these biscuits
    they will be TOO strong!!!!
  9. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes
  10. When your biscuits are done, remove from the oven and cool on a baking rack.
For short term storage you can place the cooled biscuits in a sealed container and keep in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.

For a little longer term storage place in a sealed container in
your freezer.  These will be good for about 4 months.

To store them long term without refrigeration will require a few more steps.  To do so place your cooked dog treats in a food dehydrator for about 48 hours or until their is no residual moisture remaining in the biscuit.  Trapped moisture will cause mold so break open one or two
of the biscuits to see if the center has been fully dehydrated.  Once you've removed all of the moisture these can be stored in a cookie jar at room temperature and will last for a very long time.

NOTES ON USING THESE BISCUITS:

Just like humans, each dog will have their own tolerance to marijuana in an edible form.  Use caution when giving your dog these treats until you know how much your dog can tolerate.  So start out small!  Each batch I make is different depending on the starting material and strain of marijuana used so I like to give my dogs about 1/4 of a biscuit and wait 45 minutes to an hour to see how effective it is.  If I notice that the pooch is still in pain after this waiting period I will give another 1/4 and again wait to see what affect it has.  I do this with each and every batch that I make for the dogs that way I can determine the acceptable dose.  Always err on the side of caution.... you can always give more but you can't take it back.  Remember the goal is pain relief, not a high dog.

I use these biscuits for pain relief, to relieve canine anxiety and to calm my dogs during the 4th of July celebrations, thunderstorms and when going to the groomer or long rides.

Best wishes & puppy kisses!

THChristi & friends


















50 comments:

  1. My dog has severe anxiety attacks, and after having one she won't eat sometimes for days. The vet has prescribed her medicine, but it makes her depressed, lethargic, and sick to her stomach. I was thinking maybe making these would help calm her down while increasing her appetite. I was wondering about the trim, do you infuse it or have to activate it by heat? Or do you just rinse it?
    I'm a mmj patient with a couple of plants in the backyard and was curious how I could harvest/do this myself. I can go to the dispensary if necessary. I just want to make sure I do this right. I don't want her to od and cause an even worse anxiety attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These treats can be very effective for anxiety. When you make them note that first I've extracted butter or coconut oil and then used that same trim but rinsed it off then used it to make the treats so a good amount of the THC is already extracted from the trim. This is so the treats aren't overly strong for the pups but still retain a lot of beneficial cannabinoids. Then the other advice if your dog suffers from a lot of anxiety you may want to steer towards indica and indica dominant strains. In dogs as well as humans sativa strains can cause more anxiety due to their energetic tendencies. Indicas on the other hand give a relaxing effect.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much! I understand! People think I'm crazy for wanting to try this/being a horrible doggie parent. But, it hurts me to see her under weight and almost stressed to the point of self harm. I will probably try it this weekend! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe! i have a large dog who is actually a war dog he evacuated from Iraq during the war and he has been the best dog i have ever had,but the poor guy started having seizures the vets could not really find anything so im thinking it was from a TBI traumatic brain injury like a lot of veterans get PTSD.

    he was having 2 seizures a day and would just lay around whimpering a lot was hard to get him to even go outside until i gave him a very small piece of a cannabis cookie he did not have a seizure that day and was running around and playing happily i continued the treatment with the same consistent result it seems to have actually stopped his seizures and he seems to like your recipe much better than the one i was using :) thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful that the cannabis is helping your buddy to live without the seizures! I'm so glad to be able to help. Much love to you both!

      Delete
  4. My dog was recently diagnosed with bone cancer and isnt in severe pain yet, the anti inflammatory medication she takes makes her lose her appetite. I haven't tried this approach yet but I applaud it and I hope more people will realize the benefits of medical marijuana for pets. If there is anything I can do to help this cause count me in. I dont use marijuana myself but if there is anything that can help an animal or person feel better then not supporting it is very confusing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sorry to hear about your dogs diagnosis. Wishing your pup a speedy and full recovery. Bone cancer is a tough diagnosis. We lost our big boy to this disease a few months ago. The sooner you can get your dog on a medical marijuana treatment plan the better. <3

      Delete
  5. The recipe sounds confusing to me is there an easier way to do this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's confusung? If it's too difficult you can come see me at the patient cann is exchange in Tacoma. I have premade dog treats available here.

      Delete
  6. Hi, would this help with doggie glaucoma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannabis is known to reduce ocular pressure caused by glaucoma so yes 👍

      Delete
  7. thank you for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. My schnauzer was 17 and, she was only in pain her last night and her muscles cramped completely seized. It was awful. I gave her a dropper of tincture and she slowly relaxed and slept well and was good until morning when I dosed her again before we went to the vet to let her go. It was a peaceful ending and would of been agony for us both otherwise. My other dog had anxiety issues from being abused as a pup. If he was being out of control I'd give him a 1/4 of a baked cookie or a teaspoon of my infused coconut oil and he'd be calm. It's great for dogs who get car sick, anxiety about grooming, vet, bath, fireworks....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry for your loss. Our pets are family. Saying goodbye is never easy.

      Delete
  9. How many treats do you get from the recipe? I have 2 small dogs and I was thinking about cutting the recipe in half. Could that possibility increase the freezer life?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Depending on size you can get a couple dozenbiscuits from the recipe. Freezer life can be extended by vacuum sealing smaller bags of biscuits in the deepfreezer. Then your working out of one open bag and only exposing a few of the treats at a time. For the best ahelf life place in dehydrator until bone dry and I hen store in a s aled container

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this recipe! My dog is 11 and has arthritis in his back hips. He was starting to need help jumping up on (his) the couch and lifting his leg to pee. Anyways. I've made these 3 times now and they have done wonders for him! No more troubles with the leg lift or jumping on the couch and he's been so happy! Sleeps a lot but he's always done that. Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats so awesome! Im so happy that these treats are giving your buddy some good relief!

      Delete
  12. My beautiful 7 year old boxer was just diagnosed with lymphoma. We are devastated. I have switched to a holistic homeopathic diet as well as traditional chemo. I am making the dog biscuits tonight. I have read so much regarding cannabis treatment for cancer in canines and I will try anything to help my girl. Will let you know the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your buddy. I hop this recipe will provide aome relief

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Would you recommend that I eat one first to see how strong it is? I am hesitant on giving it to my dog prior to consuming it myself. Can it be used for human consumption? Please advise.

      Delete
    3. You definitely could eat this although it wont taste great. I would start by breaking it into quarters and give the dog a small piece. Wait an hour or so and see if ahe needs more

      Delete
    4. I wanted to let you know how everything went. I hope this might help someone else in the future. Your directions were excellent. I followed them to the letter for the butter. For the dog biscuits I switched from whole wheat flour to brown rice flour because my dog is on a gluten free diet. The brown rice flour is more absorbent so I had to add an additional TBSP of peanut butter and more water. They baked just as the recipe indicated. My husband and I ate one first prior to giving our dog one. I definitely felt it, my husband not so much. Since my dog is 70 LBS and I'm twice her weight, we started her off at 1/4 of a biscuit twice a day. She slept through the night without incident. She also has stopped trying to get at her ulcerated tumor. She started wagging her tail and giving kisses which she hasn't done since she has been on chemo. She is still sleeping a lot which is ok since she does need to heal, She has not thrown up or had diarrhea which is a common side effect of chemo in dogs, so I did not have to give her more meds to counteract the side effect. Her personality has returned. I can only attribute it to being more comfortable and not in pain. I cannot thank you enough.

      Delete
    5. That is ao winderful! What a great teatimonial. I am so happy to jear that its helping keep your buddy pain and symptom free! Much love fhe gluten free recipe changes.i will be make ng some off those as well!

      Delete
  13. THCristi, we just came back from the vet and our boxer's lymph nodes have all reduced in size which is what we were hoping for. However, her ulcerated tumor is still the same. Have you ever heard of anyone applying MM butter to an open wound? I have read that it can be very effective for arthritis and other debilitating conditions, but haven't seen anything regarding an open wound. Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thank you so much for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful news about your pups lymph nodes! So happy :). As for the ulcerated tymor U am not sure that butter is the way to go for a topical application just due to the fact that its butter but i would say that a topical application of i fused coconut oil may be a good route to go. I know in humans we've seen success for skin cancers with using coconut oil thats been infused like butter also coconut oil mixed with RSO or FECO. I think if it were my dog I would try the coconut oul infusion so as not to introduce toi high of thc into the bloodstream theough th ulcer. These ideas though are just that, ideas. hope that helps. Lete know what you decide and how it works out. Sending recovery wishes fir your boxer <3

      Delete
  14. Can you use the recipe with bud instead of trim? My dog is suffering from a collapsed trachea and has started making the condition worse with his high activity and excitement. I am hoping to use the recipe to calm him down so he can actually give it time to heal. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes! Absolutely. Just start small when fuguring out your appripruate dosing. Hope it helps your buddy get better quick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could you use a small amount of pre made butter in the recipe instead?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but you will want to increase the flour amount if you are not using trim as its the bulk of this recipe

      Delete
  17. I have a question about adding Lecithin. I make peanut butter treats substituting 1/2 of the corn flour with weed flour. I add Lecithin to some of the recipes I make for my wife. I am interested in an opinion if it would benifit my dog. We give them to her for Hip Displaysia

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding lecithin to edibles mainly used to make it come on faster but it also in my understanding makes the effect last a shorter durration. In my experience, these treats usually come on pretty fast with the dogs so I would say skip the lecithin in this case

      Delete
  18. I love this idea but doesn't all the CBD end up in the butter (or oil) after the cooking process ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always some oil that is trapped in the bud/trim mixture. Even with a mechanical press I am only able to squeese out 90-95% of the oil or butter. What remains in the trim is perfect for making these doggie treats.

      Delete
    2. There is always some oil that is trapped in the bud/trim mixture. Even with a mechanical press I am only able to squeese out 90-95% of the oil or butter. What remains in the trim is perfect for making these doggie treats.

      Delete
  19. The weed I have contains very little THC and 10% CBD's. Can I make your doggie bisquits without cooking it down for hours ? By the way our Annie loves your bisquits and I can't tell you how much they've helped her . Thankyou !!! Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin- Yes! If your cannabis is a cbd strain without or with little THC you can just grind and use it as is in yhe dog treats or in another dog treat recipe. If using another recipe take out as much flour by volume that you add in of the ground cannabis. If you use this recipe you will want to add more liquid until the dough is a good texture to roll out.

      I am so glad my biscuits have been helping Annie! Paws up!

      Delete
    2. Robin- Yes! If your cannabis is a cbd strain without or with little THC you can just grind and use it as is in yhe dog treats or in another dog treat recipe. If using another recipe take out as much flour by volume that you add in of the ground cannabis. If you use this recipe you will want to add more liquid until the dough is a good texture to roll out.

      I am so glad my biscuits have been helping Annie! Paws up!

      Delete
  20. Making some now but instead of just wheat flour I'm using half wheat and half peanut flour for my doggie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know all dogs have a different tolerance, but does anyone know how strong these are? I'm using Treatibles now and my dog (who weighs 78 lbs takes 2-3 of those at each dose, making them not last too long. Those have 1 milligram of CBD in each cookie. Are these stronger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These will likely be stronger than that and depending on the Cannabis you start with will likely have a bit of thc as well

      Delete
  22. Awe, thank you! My pup definitely thinks they're tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks, Can I replace the whole wheat flour with coconut flour?

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a great point, Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...